Application Due Date
As an Attorney-Advisor (Open Continuous) GS 0905 14/15, your typical work assignments may include the following under supervision:
- Provides a broad range of legal support to DHS clients-including conducting complex legal research and analysis, developing memoranda, and presenting results to senior officials in a clear, precise, and persuasive manner- regarding the conduct and oversight of DHS intelligence activities; Functions as General Attorney Advisor and provides legal counsel on all activities and matters involving Homeland Security initiatives, operations, programs, and policies. Also, serves as the Attorney-Advisor to DHS staff on new technologies and initiatives to use technology to facilitate information sharing and analysis in support of national and departmental missions; and the management of the DHS intelligence enterprise.
- Works with colleagues throughout DHS and at other departments and agencies, including the Department of Justice and the Intelligence Community, with special emphasis on enabling DHS intelligence professionals, computer and data scientists, and policy makers to effectively carry out their authorized functions while ensuring their activities are conducted in a manner that reflects the protections of individuals' privacy, civil rights, and civil liberties required by law; Provides written and oral counsel, legal reviews, opinions, or decisions in the application of Federal laws to programs conducted or assisted by DHS components, and DHS policies.
- Assists or represents institutional clients in negotiating, developing, or resolving legal and other matters within DHS, and externally with the Congress, other government agencies, individuals, citizen groups and civil society, state and local government officials, and foreign partners.
- Ensures that departmental policy development, planning, and implementation efforts properly consider and accurately reflect the authorities conferred and constraints imposed by law, Presidential order and directive, and executive branch policy, in carrying out the intelligence mission function.
- Provides advice and guidance to attorneys in DHS component agencies and contributes to the formation of DHS-wide policies.
- Routinely interacts with state, local, tribal, private sector, and foreign officials on behalf of DHS and OGC on matters related to the law and policies governing intelligence and information sharing and safeguarding.